Wednesday, July 15, 2015

7/13/15 - 15th LETTER FROM BURNABY

Dear Humanity,

Shortly after Alma the Younger was ordained as the High Priest of the Church of Jesus Christ in the ancient Americas, he went about teaching and testifying to his people throughout the land. In Zarahemla, he taught them of humility and sanctification, and bettering themselves. His words were inspired, and he exhorted them to do many things. He sealed these words with a testimony of revelation from God. "And this is not all. Do ye suppose that I know of these things myself? Behold, I testify unto you that I do know that these things whereof I have spoken are true. And how do ye suppose that I know of their surety?
"Behold, I say unto you they are made known unto me by the Holy Spirit of God. Behold, I have fasted and prayed many days that I might know these things of myself. And now I do know of myself that these things are true; for the Lord God hath made them manifest unto me by his Holy Spirit; and this is the spirit of revelation which is in me." (Alma 5:45-46)

Gaining spiritual knowledge is so important in building a testimony of the restored gospel of Jesus Christ. And we gain spiritual knowledge by doing what Alma testifies of: we fast, we pray, we do all we can to ask God with a sincere heart, and with real intent, and then He answers us. And the witness we receive from His Holy Spirit, the knowledge that we gain from our Heavenly Father, is more powerful and more true than any other knowledge we can ever receive in this life. While it's great to know things, little trivia facts here and there, calculus wisdom over here, all knowledge pales in comparison to the knowledge of Heavenly Father and His Son, Jesus Christ. "This is life eternal, that they might know thee the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom thou hast sent" (John 17:3). That is why we have the Book of Mormon. So that we many KNOW that Jesus is the Christ, the very Son of God. That He is our Savior and our Redeemer, that it is only through Him that we may be saved. The Book of Mormon builds our faith in Jesus Christ more than anything else.

It also helps us to KNOW that Joseph Smith was a Prophet of God, that through him, the fullness of the everlasting gospel of Jesus Christ was restored.

It helps us to KNOW what the gospel of Jesus Christ is, by teaching it plainly, simply, and completely. The Book of Mormon truly fulfills the purpose of missionary work, by inviting others to come unto Christ by helping them receive the restored gospel through living the doctrine of Christ. It's pretty awesome that we have this book of scripture to truly help us in our lives and in this work.

I've been trying to use it more in my ministry here in BC. And miracles have abounded because of it! We were so blessed this week to be able to teach so many of our investigators, and to be able to prepare them for baptism and confirmation. Kristian, our deaf investigator, is so excited for his baptsim, and is teaching us sign language, which is awesome! I know how to sign dinosaur, Godzilla (literally, to sign it, you just walk around like the king of monsters himself...why isn't English like this?!), and roar...along with gospel terms and basic conversational stuff. So...that's always fun!

We are having so many good experiences up here. And it all comes down to having great faith in the Lord and in this work. It is truly hastening. I know that to be true. And even though some will not accept the message we share, there are truly people out there, our brothers and sisters, who are waiting to hear this message of the restored gospel and to act on it! And that builds my faith and hope so much.

I know that as we just sit back, relax, and enjoy the gospel, that we will find so much happiness and joy. This is the gospel and the plan of happiness. Show it! Smiling is a side effect of conversion. And so is missionary work. I just wish that we had robot suits to run around and do this work in, because I can't run fast enough to keep pace with the Hastening! But I know that it isn't just me that's working in this area. Jesus Christ is there with us. This is His work. And I take great comfort in that.

The book is blue, the church is true! What more can you say?

Have a great week,
Elder Stock

The Koreans and I. In theatres and IMAX this Friday.

No comments:

Post a Comment