Monday, June 6, 2016

6/6/16 - 7th LETTER FROM VERNON

THIS WEEK ON MISH LYFE: “MERRITT” BADGE…
“What’s your name, sir? Is this your first time here?” the first counselor in the bishopric asked our new investigator, Ron, as he sat in the priesthood opening exercises for the first time in his life.

“The name’s Ron Felix. And yep, it’s my first time here…” the old man answered in his gray cardigan.

“And why did you end up coming?”

“I don’t know!” he joked. Everyone laughed.

“One of those three young men convinced you, eh?” the bishopric member retorted.

It got quiet after some nervous laughing. Then, Ron turned to everyone, his already crinkled copy of the Book of Mormon clutched in his hands.  “I came here to start to change my life… And it’s working.” 

The Spirit entered the room, and everyone was reminded of the purpose of this Work.

Vernon is incredible. It’s been getting super hot here, lately, but it’s been nice! (I just checked Vernon’s temps and they got up to 97 degrees Fahrenheit – which is pretty hot for them. It’s still hard to feel sorry when we had 117 degrees Fahrenheit in Gilbert!) We had a ward luau this weekend and got to devour two spit-roasted pigs… Talk about feeding a multitude! We have had the opportunity to teach so many of our friends and investigators here this week, and it’s been so great! Elder Scully and I got a new companion this week, and his name is Elder Meline. He’s from Pleasant Grove, UT and is practically a perfect human being. Like the Holy Ghost, he has a cleansing, purifying effect on those around him…so, it’s nice to have him around. He is such a hard worker and is fiercely obedient. So, we get along quite well! We are seeing so many miracles together as a tri and the ward is just so supportive of missionary work here. It’s incredible to see the excitement continuing to build in this great cause that we are a part of.

I love this Work! It all comes down to an invitation that Christ has given us, for He has said, “O all ye that were spared because ye were more righteous than they, will ye not now return unto me, and repent of your sins, and be converted, that I may heal you?” (3 Nephi 9:13).

That’s what it’s all about. Continually coming unto Christ, and being converted to Him and His gospel. Right now, I’m hanging out in Merritt, a super small town by Vernon and Kamloops, with one of my favorite missionaries, Elder McGaughey. It’s been fun…we went by the city hall, and grabbed a city pin to remember the place…I call it my “Merritt” badge… So, if someone could report that to the Boy Scouts organization? I’ll take a silver palm or something in the mail…thanks…

I know that this is the Lord’s work, and that our purpose as missionaries is truly God’s purpose for all of us. He is ever at the helm of His great work, and He is there for us. In our sorrows and in our triumphs, I know He lives, and that He guides His Church today through a living prophet, Thomas S. Monson. That He speaks to us today through modern revelation. That He has revealed more of His word. As we draw closer to Him through prayerful study of the Book of Mormon, He will draw closer to us. In the name of Jesus Christ, amen.

Have a great week!
Elder Stock
My “Merritt” badge….a city pin! :D
 The new tri…with the perfect Elder Meline on the right…
 A creatively decorated map of Vernon…
 Elder McGaughey and I…from the same stake back home in AZ!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment