Monday, November 16, 2015

11/16/15 - 14th LETTER FROM LANGLEY

(Insert Epistle Name Here)

Hey! How are y'all doing?! That's good to hear. Unless you said you're not doing well....then....I'm sorry. But anyway, life is good up here in Langley! It's getting pretty chilly and rainy outside. So that's always fun. A constant downpour of mist that just rusts everything in its path. Our Nissan Rogue, The Lord's Chariot, is battling its way through these rain-battered streets of the lower mainland. Amidst the hustle and bustle of western Canadian city life. On the prowl for children of God whom He has prepared to receive the message of the Restoration. It's goin' down.

Pondering on the Book of Mormon, my thoughts came to Alma the Younger. What a hero. His purpose was so pure in his missionary efforts. As soon as he experienced the Atonement, he "laboured without ceasing, that [he] might bring souls unto repentance; that [he] might bring them to taste of the exceeding joy of which [he] did taste; that they might also be born of God, and be filled with the Holy Ghost" (Alma 36:24). I've noticed that for myself, whenever the missionary work I do is because I truly desire my brothers and sisters here in British Columbia, and when I seek to follow the Spirit in how to best help them, then I not only feel better myself, but the people I'm teaching are able to actually progress in the gospel.

And I feel like for all of us, no matter where we are at in our missionary work, we can feel the same way. Are our interactions with our brothers and sisters motivated out of charity, the pure love of Christ? Or are we just getting by? Are we seeking to lift others and follow the example of Jesus Christ? Or are we content with mediocrity? Then wake up and do something more!

It's a blast to be out here, doing the Lord's work. Honestly, it is. When people tell you the mission isn't easy, they are right. It's not. You never really know what's going to happen next. But don't let that discourage you. The mission isn't easy, but it is definitely rewarding. As a representative of Jesus Christ, you are in the front seat of an epic rollercoaster called consecrated service. And you see miracles. Every day. So if anyone's reading this, and they're on the fence about serving a mission: do it. That's a command.

My week has been crazy busy. We are teaching our boys J and H who are getting geared up for their baptisms soon. They are doing so well. We are teaching up a storm over here and loving it.

Also, in an unprecedented turn of events, we ended up going on exchange out in White Rock with the Chinese elders! Elder Shoop is awesome. I went with him to White Rock and turns out....he knows Nelson Brown! Small World! I had fun trying to catch up with my terrible conversational Chinese during lessons and drank a lot of herbal tea in one lesson because I couldn't teach, so they shut me up by making me keep drinking. I ain't complaining, though. In one person's home, they had a rug that used to be a real life polar bear. Oh, the animal rights activists would go nuts! I thought it was awesome.

We had an incredible zone meeting this week, as well. It was very uplifting, and the announcing point of President Burt's new push to be a mission on fire. Grab the gasoline! It takes attitude, work ethic, obedience and knowledge to be what the Lord expects us to become. We took another zone picture, as well. Right in front of the temple. It was a good time.

This next Thursday, we are having a member of the Seventy, Elder Teh, come and visit our mission. A zone conference will be held on this day, and guess who'll be conducting the entire meeting of over 100 missionaries?! Yeah, I'm gonna be up there... Pray that I won't stumble on my words. Or start preaching false doctrine.... Those would be bad.

I'll give you all an update next week on how THAT goes.

Life is good.

Have a great week!
Elder Stock


The Langley Zone
Like a Royal Army, we're comin' for you....
So get in your baptismal whites.
Because it's about to rain....miracles....


No comments:

Post a Comment