Monday, November 30, 2015

11/30/15 - 16th LETTER FROM LANGLEY

THIS WEEK ON MISH LYFE: LANGELY YSA....

This week was incredible and miracle filled. Elder Gawrys and I are having lots of fun here in the YSA branch, and are so grateful to be a part of the work of salvation. It's always nice to take a step back and realize the magnitude and majesty of missionary work and what it really means. What our purpose really is. And this week, we got to see that entire purpose unfold in beautiful fashion.

The Savior, just before His ascension into heaven, left His Apostles with a commission, a mission for them to serve. He commanded them to "go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them..." (Matt. 28:19). That commission that He gave to the original Twelve is just as valid today, and we as missionaries are companions with those Apostles. Our charge is their charge. It's wonderful.

Today, we are in the middle of the Lord's Hastening of His Work. And He has asked us that we first "purify our hearts" before doing His Work (D&C 112:28). We need to obey and be cleansed from sin and guilt. To show with our thoughts and our actions that we are devoted to the master. With every fiber of our being.

One of our investigators, Josh, has been searching for the truth in his life. As we were able to teach him over this short month, he has progressed so well. He knows that the restored gospel is true. That it is the truth that can help him in his life to feel that peace and joy we all yearn for. We had the sacred opportunity and blessing to be able to participate in his baptism this last Saturday. What a terrific experience it was.

At the baptism, the Spirit was so strong and we had one of our investigators, C, there as well (the one who prayed to know if the Book of Mormon is true in a Tim Hortons and silenced the coffee shop with the Spirit). I love just how much the gospel changes people and sanctifies them.

Josh bore his testimony right after his baptism saying, "I stand before you now a changed man. I bear testimony that the Holy Ghost gave me revelation while I was investigating..." He testified of the Restoration and of the gospel of Jesus Christ. And the Spirit was SO strong at this point. Everyone could feel it. It was a sacred experience. He's so happy to be a new member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. He has a testimony, he knows where he's going, he knows who is helping him. It's a great feeling to have been a part of that whole process.

That's why we are here, it's to invite others to come unto Christ. To HELP them receive His restored gospel through applying His doctrine in their lives. It isn't to just wander the streets of Canada or wherever you are and try to sell the church. It isn't to be mediocre, it's to follow the example and commission of the Savior and help God's children to covenant with Him and return to live with Him.

I have such a testimony of that. I was asked in church yesterday by our gospel principles teacher. "Why did you commit to serve?" This is why:

A personal witness from the Holy Ghost that the Book of Mormon is true can lead us to do amazing things. At one point in Jesus Christ's earthly ministry. He asked His disciples, "Whom do men say that I the Son of man am?" They answered by saying, "Some say that thou art John the Baptist; some, Elias; and others, Jeremias, or one of the prophets." Logically, that probably made sense at the time especially for people who didn't believe that a being like Jesus Christ could exist.

The Savior asked Peter, then, a harrowing question. "But whom say ye that I am?"
Peter answered, "Thou art the Christ, the Son of the living God."
And what Jesus said was simple, yet profound. "Blessed art thou, Simon bar-Jona [Peter] for flesh and blood hath not revealed it unto thee, but my Father which is in heaven." (Matt. 16:13-17)

No matter what we can discover with our own logic, our own intellect, our own "flesh and blood", nothing can be as sure or correct as the witness and revelation we are entitled to receive from our Father in Heaven.

And I know by the power of the Holy Ghost that the Book of Mormon is true. That this Church is Christ's Church. That His priesthood has been restored to the earth. And that is why I committed to serve. Because I know these things are true. How can I not share them? I learn every day more and more about this gospel, and every day I have experience with the Spirit that I cannot deny. At this point, I am no longer on neutral ground. I am on God's side. And I know that everyone can receive that same witness from His Spirit. I have seen it here in British Columbia. It works. And it works wonderfully. I learn every day more about my Savior, Our Master. He is anxiously engaged in His work. And as His representative, I know that He lives. I am grateful for this gospel. For this week. It was rewarding.

I hope that you all have an amazing week!

Sincerely,
Elder Stock
Intricately detailed Book of Mormon timeline hanging in our study now. We feel like scriptorians ...
 Josh's baptism!!!
 Josh's baptism....continued

No comments:

Post a Comment